Monday, October 6, 2008

Playing with yarn

This is one of the skeins of merino-silk I got in Alaska last year. It's beautiful and really soft, but I haven't wanted to knit anything with it. I just couldn't get past imagining how much the yellow part would stand out when knitted up.


So I decided to overdye it. Tina suggested icing dye, and after reading on knitty how to do it, I finally did. I used Wilton's icing colors, teal plus a tiny bit of brown.


And here it is dry.


I love it now that the yellow is sort of foresty green. I seem to have felted the yarn a little bit, but I think I'll be able to wind it up.

And I had the best time in New Orleans with you, especially all the knitting time we had:




Long live the streetcars of New Orleans!

2 comments:

Tenacious said...

That yellow really toned down, didn't it? It looks great! Maybe this is the beginning of a love of dyeing :)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, the yarn is such a pretty colorway now. It is more mellow, it's very nice.